A Do it Yourself Summer Dress: Navy + White Nautical Dress with Butterick 6318

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

DIY Nautical Dress

I can't believe that it's May already - how did this happen!? I'm also so grateful that it is. The sun has been showing itself here and there for the last month but we've finally started to feel some warmth. Hugo is thoroughly confused by the temperature change and, like a true Washingtonian, is already telling me, 'haaa, haaa, mama - haaaa' when it's 70 degrees out. It's still a bit too cold for summer activities but we've been keeping our sunny days busy with exploring and being outside.

All of this sunny weather has reignited my love for dresses and surprisingly, I have a very small amount of casual dresses to wear. Most of my dresses are intended for work or have cutouts/shorter hems from when I was thinner and didn't have a little one to chase. Since my life has changed, my needs and wants in a dress have also changed. I want little fuss, something I can move in, and something that won't cycle out of fashion so quickly.


Enter Butterick B6318. I loved view B because of the stripes and the chevron sleeve. (If  you've seen my DIY chevron dress posts then you know how much I love chevron made from stripes!) The dress is also a fit and flare which is great for flattering my current shape. I decided to make view B in a navy and white stripe that could be dressed up or down. Plus, nautical looks are always in style during spring and summer so I won't have to worry about keeping up with any trends. I would say that this dress is an all around win-win! 

But what about the logistics?

The dress is pretty easy to put together and the pattern instructions are plenty clear. The dress isn't lined so when I make the next one, I plan to use a bias tape on the seams for a special touch. How cute would a yellow or white bias be in this dress!? Oh. my. gosh. As is, I used a white seam binding for the sleeve and skirt hemlines which looks so nice. For my fabric, I used the Waverly fabric line at Walmart. The price per yard was $3.97 - great deal! 

My only struggle with this dress is not knowing how to tailor a pattern to my body. I sewed a size 12 (27" waist) which works perfectly for my lower waist but the rest of the bodice is too big. I'm not really sure how to draw up a size 10 and expand the waist without ruining the dress which is something that I need to work on. I am really hoping to be able to squeeze a class on this into my schedule soon! 

Also, exciting news! I've been working with a Seattle based photographer to start bringing you guys quality images and let me tell you, she has been such a blessing! She is truly so much fun to work with, so professional, and she creates such beautiful images. If you haven't heard of Stephanie Malilong, please - check out her photography page

DIY Nautical Dress


DIY Nautical Dress

DIY Nautical Dress

DIY Nautical DressDIY Nautical Dress

DIY Nautical Dress

DIY Nautical Dress

DIY Nautical Dress

Until next time! 




No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Sew Very Lovely. Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs