Tutorial: Faux Fur Tree Skirt

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas

Sorry
this is a little bit late! I am still recovering and some days are still better than others. The last couple of days have been pretty good which means that I've been trying to cram in as MUCH as I possibly can before Christmas. Even though I am wicked behind in everything, it is a really nice treat to feel better than I have - just in time for the big day!

But anyways, on to the fun stuff!

I knew that I wanted to do a woodland theme this year for Christmas. I love the earthy tones, the cute little animals, and all of the sparkle! When Target first began stocking their holiday area, I saw this faux fur tree skirt and fell in love with it. Unfortunately it came with a $45 price tag. Eek. 



You can find this tree skirt here.

I really loved how soft and plush the faux fur was but there was no way that I was going to pay $45 for a tree skirt. First, I checked out Joann's for faux fur but I wasn't feeling the color choices or the texture of the material they had. This is when I realized that I was going to have to get creative if Joann's didn't have what I was looking for. So I decided to head back to Target and take a look at their holiday throws to see if I could find a soft, plush, faux fur blanket.

And I did!



Threshold Faux Fur Throw, in cream. Can be bought here.

I loved the cream color, the texture, and the price - $24.99. It was absolutely perfect for what I had in mind! This project was really easy, super fast, and still has a lux look to it, which you all know that I love! It only took me a little over an hour to complete and put it under the tree.
Here is the finished look: 


christmas




christmas



christmas
It's also Moo kitty's new favorite place!

Here's what you'll need:


Faux fur blanket (already had batting and a back - depending on your blanket you may need these too!) - $24.99
Ribbon - $4

Total cost: $28.99
Savings: $16.01

Now to get started! (Disclaimer, sorry about the photos! I know that they are terrible quality!)

Step 1: 

Fold in half 

Christmas


Step 2:

Use a template to cut out your shape. Don't forget to add a seam allowance! I used a tree skirt for my template.

christmas

Christmas


holiday



Step 3:

Now cut a straight line, on one side, from the outer edge into the center. 

Christmas

Step 4: 

Remove any stitching that defined the blanket. Once the stitching is removed, place the fabric right sides together, with the batting at the very bottom. 

christmas

Step 5:Stitch around the outside of the skirt.
christmas

Step 6: 

On the sides, figure out where to place your ribbons. You'll want to place your ribbons between the top and bottom of the skirt. You'll also want the short ends facing you and the rest of the ribbon tucked into the layers of fabric. Be careful not to sew over the loose ribbon inside your layers. Once you've figured out your placement, sew the sides and around the circle in the center. Make sure you leave a space in the inner circle to pull your skirt inside right!

christmas


Step 7: 

Pull your skirt inside right, and hand sew the space left in the inner circle. Faux fur fabric is super forgiving and your hand stitches won't be obvious. Once you've sewn in the gap - you're done!

I hope this tutorial was helpful! Let me know if you give it a try and send me a link or picture of your projects! I would love to see them! 






No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Sew Very Lovely. Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs