Pattern Review - Simplicity 8098

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Simplicity pattern review


Well, Thankful Thursday was short lived. Not that I'm lacking gratitude or thankfulness rather, there is just so much to be thankful for and I am so appreciative for a great many things in my life. I have noticed that it is a lot harder for me to talk about things that are so close to me now such as, why I am thankful for life, opportunities, possibilities, health, etc. and I was really conflicted about posting last Thursday's post. Introspection is a beautiful thing that causes pause and self growth but I don't know that there's a place for that level of intimacy on the blog, anymore. I would rather look back and see the evolution of when I started writing through actions and experiences instead of talking about the process of what it took to get there. This leads me to talk about where this blog is going!



I'm sure that you've noticed the rebranding across social media (including the blog's redesign) and that's because... drum roll... I've finally found my "niche," so to speak. Sewing and DIY has always been a part of this blog and lately, I have found such joy in creating and thinking about out-of-the box ideas so the transition to a blog that focuses on creativity through these mediums is rather natural. My hope, is that I can engage with a community of individuals that love DIY, sewing, and upcycling as much as I do as well as encourage others to make that leap and give something new a try.

That being said, let's move right along to today's pattern review!

I had a really hard time finding a pattern review for Simplicity 8098 when I first started out and so I was kind of shocked by the things that popped up with this pattern. Let me tell you, there are some things to talk about!

Firstly, I made view B with a few modifications to achieve the look that I was going for. This was meant to be woodland/fall inspired because I made this romper for Hugo's birthday last month. I used a white linen (thrifted), white cotton for lining (also thrifted), and another cotton that I found at Walmart on clearance, for $3 a yd. The project came into fruition when I found the leaf fabric at Walmart and I just knew that it was meant for Hugo's birthday outfit.

Getting started, I already knew that Simplicity ran large for kids. According to the measurements on the back, Hugo should've been a size large so I thought that the medium would be more appropriate. As soon as I saw the bottom front of the romper, I could gauge that it would be way too big and had to go with a size small. This was a shock and a half as Hugo is not a small little boy, by any means. He has always been in the upper percentile for height and weight and his clothes range from 18 months - 2T. This also makes gifting something from this pattern incredibly hard. Especially without a try on to make sizing modifications.

I didn't add the straps or do the buttons the same as the back to modify the design to what I had envisioned and the steps leading up to the snaps went rather smoothly. The instructions for the snaps and the crotch placket are really confusing. It could be that I was in a rush at this point, but snaps are typically easy to add and the directions just blew. my. mind. I ended up getting frustrated and had to wing it. Next time I make a 8098 romper, I will just do my own thing when I get to this step.

Buttons, bottons, buttons

So, is it worth the purchase? Yes. I would buy this pattern again for the bones to tailor a design that I really want. Plus, I am super in love with view A and also want to make view C for Hugo this summer.


Simplicity pattern review
Oh my goodness. His little cuteness!


Simplicity pattern review

Simplicity pattern review


Simplicity pattern review

Simplicity pattern review
Mama's little bookworm. :)
Simplicity pattern review

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Sew Very Lovely. Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs