Decor on a Budget: A DIY Springtime Wreath (And it only cost $5 to make!)

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Dollar Tree DIY

I'm not going to lie to you, it's been a tough week. Anything that could possibly go wrong, went wrong. On top of that, I could use a mom break. Toddlers are hard. Since this week was a just-stay-afloat kind of week, sewing was the last thing on my mind and I focused my energy on other things.

Like, a trip to the Dollar Store.

Which, by the way, was a mess in and of itself. Evidently, carts aren't allowed outside of the store so I had to figure out how to carry my purse, diaper bag, bags of merchandise, and an angry toddler across the parking lot with non-automatic doors. Fun, fun. And this was right after Hugo grabbed a bunch of fake florals from the shelf, bit plastic off, thereby requiring me to swipe the inside of his mouth to grab said plastic. Of course, this only upset him so he bit my finger with his front teeth so hard that my finger swelled. Lovely. Oh, and it rained. Like, poured. Thanks, Washington!


I digress. So, while I was at the Dollar Tree, I picked up a few things for gardening (I am determined to make gardening a thing this year), yard clean up, as well as a few floral things to make a wreath. Guys, I have not made a wreath in forever which is silly because I love wreaths. In fact, my last wreath was the DIY Rustic Wreath that I made two years ago - crazy! So I figured that instead of sharing a sewing project (with my luck this week, I shouldn't be touching a sewing machine), I would share this really easy DIY springtime wreath that only cost five dollars to make. And, you can find all the materials at the Dollar Tree - yay! 


I should also mention that in the 15 minutes it took to make this wreath, I managed to:

  • Hot glue a chunk of my hair which required scissors to remove. 
  • Hot glue my thumb (ouch).
  • Accidentally picked up my fabric scissors to cut the floral arrangement and broke my only pair of fabric scissors. 
Face palm. 

Materials:
  1. 3 spools of 3 yd ribbon 
  2. 1 bunch of artificial flowers 
  3. 1 foam, round, wreath
  4. Glue & glue gun
  5. Scissors
Dollar Tree DIY


Step 1:

Hot glue the tip of the ribbon and place on the seam of the wreath. 

Dollar Tree DIY

Step 2:

Wrap the material around the ribbon and hot glue (periodically) to keep in place. 

Dollar Tree DIY

When you run out of ribbon, match the seams when you begin the next ribbon. 

Dollar Tree DIY

Dollar Tree DIY

Step 3:

Once you're done wrapping the ribbon around the wreath, it's time to clip the artificial flowers away from the stems. Don't clip too close to the flower or they will fall apart.
Dollar Tree DIY


Step 4:
Arrange your flowers on your wreath. 

Dollar Tree DIY

Dollar Tree DIY

Step 5:

Enjoy! 

Dollar Tree DIY

Dollar Tree DIY

Dollar Tree DIY

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Sew Very Lovely. Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs